Apress - Pro Bash Programming Scripting the GNULinux Shell Editi (Size: 1.44 MB)
Pro Bash Programming: Scripting the GNU/Linux Shell
The bash shell is a complete programming language, not merely a glue to combine external Linux commands. By taking full advantage of shell internals, shell programs can perform as snappily as utilities written in C or other compiled languages. And you will see how, without assuming Unix lore, you can write professional bash 4.0 programs through standard programming techniques.
* Complete bash coverage
* Teaches bash as a programming language
* Helps you master bash 4.0 features
What you’ll learn
* Use the shell to write new utilities and accomplish most programming tasks.
* Use shell parameter expansion to replace many external commands, making scripts very fast.
* Learn to avoid many common mistakes that cause scripts to fail.
* Learn how bash’s readline and history libraries can save typing when getting user input.
* Learn to use the new bash 4.0 features.
* Build shell scripts that get information from the Web.
About the Apress Pro Series
The Apress Pro series books are practical, professional tutorials to keep you on and moving up the professional ladder.
You have gotten the job, now you need to hone your skills in these tough competitive times. The Apress Pro series expands your skills and expertise in exactly the areas you need. Master the content of a Pro book, and you will always be able to get the job done in a professional development project. Written by experts in their field, Pro series books from Apress give you the hard–won solutions to problems you will face in your professional programming career.